Thursday, April 16, 2009

TWITTER KILLED THE BLOGSTAR

I use Twitter. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I like using Twitter. It's become a daily chore to me, to wrap up what I just wrote on a post into one quick sentence mostly consisting of capitals, hyphens, and tiny url links. 

Since Twitter first came out in 2006 it's been heralded as both the future of blogging, the death of blogging, and an example of how much the world's attention span has been shortened over the past decade. To some it's been the impending doom that bloggers have been fearing for years - microblogging. 

When it comes to Twitter, no more are the long-winded posts about family, friends, and day-to-day life. Now one's day, hour and minute has been shortened down to a fragment of a sentence which only takes readers a quick moment to look at before clicking another link and reading another tweet. 

"I don't get it, why is Twitter so popular? It's just one of those fads that doesn't make sense, we're so A.D.D. that we need micro-blogging"
 - Anonymous

Whether Twitter is really helping blogs or destroying them is still up for debate. Many bloggers (myself included) use Twitter as the tool that it was meant for - updating info (in this case about one's blog) that travels around the world in milliseconds. Many use it as a digital journal, like a Facebook status that's really, only the status. 

However, there's a cup-is-half-empty view to everything, and in this case it's that Twitter is pointless, stupid, and at best a digital cure to A.D.D.. Don't quote me on that, I'm just saying what I've been hearing for the past month. 

So as it goes: TV killed the Radiostar, Internet killed the TV Star, Blogging killed the Internet Star, and Twitter killed the Blogstar. This is not the end.

Follow me.

3 comments:

  1. Haha yeah, that's totally how I feel. Its definitely an attention span thing. But as I was explaining to my friend, it is very interesting how you can follow trending topics now and actually watch internet memes in action. such as #amazonfail or #iagaymarriage >> it's crazy to see people microblogging the same things at the same time... from a journalism or anthropological perspective its actually pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonder what's gonna kill twitter, nanoblogging?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great post. You have some good ideas about using twitter in ways I haven't thought of before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete