Thursday, September 24, 2009

NEEDLES

I have a great fear of needles. When I was younger, however, I used to be fine. Fearless, per say. I was as nonchalant about blood tests and vaccines as I was going about my daily business, which didn't consist of much, being that I was five years old. 

After a painful doctor's visit when I was around seven years old, I have since strongly feared needles. It was a blood test gone wrong - though the red fluid was eventually extracted, it's cost was greater than expected. The doctor missed my vein several times, arguing that I would not stop moving, though I had sat still the entire time. 

Since that day the fear of needles and blood, especially mixed, has sent a chill down my spine. "I have a great fear of needles" may be exaggerating, being that I have mostly conquered my fears by now, but I still have trouble taking vaccines, and squirm in my seat when I see that needle filling up with blood. The worst part is the build up - possibly having to squeeze a ball tightly or having a rubber band wrapped around my arm - because that is when my heart rate rises considerably. 

Fortunately, I have not had to take a blood test or a vaccination in a while, and after years of putting up with the needles and blood and maturing all the way, my fear has greatly lessened. I can now watch a gory horror movie without flinching! My favorite part in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is still that scene where the Black Knight is chopped to pieces by King Arthur and his blood spurts in fountains as he proudly proclaims "It's just a flesh wound!"

Acupuncture's still something I will never put myself through though. I don't care how many Chinese people say it works wonders, there isn't a snowball in hell's chance I'll become this guy at any point in my life.

Recommended listening that relates to the subject matter of this post: 



No comments:

Post a Comment